Day 181 - Blueberry buckle cake


I set out to make a blueberry buckle cake but as luck would have it, I ran out of butter (and no eggs to boot). So that took are of any aspirations of having a nice crumbly streusel topping. The closest substitute was a bowl of whipped cream (left over from the fruit salad lunch last weekend),  and so the mad kitchen 'scientist' in me ended up with a lovely melt in your mouth spoon bread. It was a lovely surprise (for the rough measurements that went into the confection), and I definitely will not complain!

you need:
1 1/2 cups Self rising flour
1 pint (14 oz) Vanilla bean ice cream , softened (I used Haagen Dazs)
1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
2 tablespoons orange zest
2 cups whipped cream (I confess I eyeballed the quantity for this ingredient)

Pre heat oven to 375 F. Brush the bottom and sides of a 9 inch round baking liberally with ghee (I would have liked to use butter, except I HAD none!)
Combine the ice cream, orange zest and the whipped cream.
Fold in the flour in batches and mix until the flour has just dissipated evenly into the ice cream mix. Pour the batter into the greased pan and drop the blueberries over the batter.
 Bake for about 45 minutes (or until the top turns a golden brown color)
Allow the tin to cool on a wire rack. Cut into wedges or simply scoop out with a spoon into bowls. Dust with Icing sugar prior to serving if you like.


Comments

Popular Posts