Day 252 - Fregola Stir Fry


I love fregola / Israeli cous cous for its delightful texture. This caviar like pasta resembles tapioca without the chewy stickiness. Since I'm on a mission to minimize rice from my diet, I've stocked up on all sorts of different ingredients to incorporate into healthy dishes
Today it was a quick hack, since I spent my afternoon glued to the live blogging from Cupertino about the new Apple releases. Managed to grab a pack of Fregola (I can't tell the difference between Fregola & Israeli cous cous) from Trader Joe's, toasted it  and cooked it to perfection. In the meantime grabbed a couple of bell peppers  and pepitas, and came up with this rather delightful tasting dish, Thanks to a complete failure of nomenclature imagination, I shall just label this as 'stir-fry'!

You need:
1 packet (1 1/3rd cup) of Fregola / Israeli cous cous
2 cups boiling water
2 + 1 table spoon olive oil
1 small red onion, diced or sliced thin (I did not add this as I discovered I had none at the last minute)
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 small bell peppers diced
a handful of pumpkin seeds (Pepitas)
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
salt to taste
Juice of 1/2 a lime
Cilantro for garnish

In a saucepan heat 1 tablespoon of oil and add the fregola, gently toast until it turns a light brown. Carefully pour  the boiling water over the fregola stir and allow to cook on gentle heat until the liquid is absorbed (~10 - 12 minutes)

In the meantime, Heat the remaining oil in  a skillet and saute the onions until translucent. You may add the pumpkin seeds along with the onions so that they toast up a bit. Stir in the  the garam masala followed by the peppers & peas, Saute until the vegetables are soft. Add the salt followed by the cooked Fregola,  taste and adjust for seasoning. Transfer to a serving dish, drizzle with lime and garnish with the chopped cilantro. Serve warm.


Comments

Popular Posts